Thursday, June 7, 2012

Making Room for Baby: Part 2

Last weekend marked more baby furniture buying and arranging.  It made the most sense to buy the biggest piece for the room.  That would be crib.  To be honest, I didn't care too much about what crib we purchased.  Sure, I wanted something sturdy and non-toxic, but those were about the only requirements.  We figure she'll only be in the crib for 2ish years and we only plan on having one more.  Plus we plan on having her sleep in our room in a bassinet for the first 3-6 months, so really the crib will only be in use for maybe 4ish years.  When it came down to it, Seth actually picked the crib.  I looked it over, but he gets total credit for this buy.

So we ordered the crib and it came.  And then Seth put it together (the cats and I supervised).  And it looks totally awesome...  BUT wouldn't you know it, the spot that I thought would be perfect for the crib, just wasn't.  See...
It sticks out too far.  Turns out cribs are bigger than I thought... 

So we got to play a rousing game of furniture shuffle.  The next obvious pick for the crib was in the corner of the opposite wall.  That would be the same space Seth's massive humidor lives (lived?)...
My first suggestion was that we should just get rid of the damn thing- just kidding...  I love my husband and his stinky cigars...  So we lugged the damn thing to our bedroom and that just didn't work.  Nothing says romance like a huge, manly cigar humidor...  So I took a deep breath and said "I think it has to go to the living room."  And Seth's face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning.

So we moved the humidor/table that was between the chairs...
And replaced it with the bigger version....
And it works.  And Seth is thrilled to show off his collection.  Oh the compromises of marriage.

Back to the nursery...  With the humidor gone, we just had to figure out a spot for the bookshelf.  I got cranky and exclaimed that there was no freaking place that damn thing was going to fit, so we might as well just leave it in the nursery til we came up with a better idea.  And Seth, sensing hormones about to explode on him, agreed.  So we relocated it to the other wall...
AND WE LIKED IT!  We originally had planned a long low bookshelf, but this works and we have it.  We do plan to secure it to the wall for safety reasons.  You gotta love it when you can make what you have WORK!

So with space, all we had to do was slide the crib into place...
YAY!  The wooden chair is just hanging out as a place holder.  We have plans for a glider and a little table there, which of course means that the wooden chair will have to be relocated.  But we are getting there!

If everything goes as planned, mama and I should be making curtains this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. So all I want to know is where is the cigarfest poster going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the trash? But really... I'm not sure... We'll cross that river when we get there.

    ReplyDelete