Friday, June 15, 2012

23 weeks!


I've realized 2 things recently.  One- we haven't shared baby G's name yet.  Sorry about that.  Her name is Margaret Eleanor.  Margaret is becoming a family  name on my side (I have an Aunt Meg and Sister Maggie) and we just really love Eleanor.  We will call her Ella.  Two- these weekly(ish) posts have little structure to them, so I will be trying to add a little.

Size:  Me= whale.  I know I am not really huge at all yet, but I'm starting to feel it.  When I get tired, I waddle a little.  And my back hurts.   But that's to be expected.  Ella is growing by leaps and bounds.  What to Expect says shes about 8 inches long and babycenter says shes closer to 11 inches.  Either way, she is weighing in at over a pound!

YAYS:  She is a little thumper and I love it!  My mom and one of my sisters got to feel her move on Sunday, which was pretty cool.  Also, the weather has been blissfully cool for the south, so no real discomfort.  The second trimester is awesome.

NAYS:  Not too many- in certain positions, my lungs are starting to get a bit squished, but that's easily rectified with some moving around.  And there's some back pain.  And heartburn.  And belly itch.  And not sleeping through the night.  But really, all these things are fairly trivial.

Happenings for the week:  I had a doctors appointment on Monday and everything is going well.  I am still measuring a bit ahead.  My next appointment is in mid-July.  This will be the last appointment of the 2nd trimester and after that I will start going every 2 weeks (yikes!).  At that appointment, we will also do a follow up ultrasound and I have my sugar test (yuck).

And I have also signed us up for baby classes!  Yay!  We will be taking the standard 5 week birth and baby class offered by the hospital, along with an infant and child CPR class.  Let me state that I am 100% sold on a vaginal, un-medicated, intervention free birth (simply because I am terrified of a c-section).  I know that things happen and birth doesn't always go as planned and I am prepared for that, but a natural birth is my preferred style.  And I realize that 5 weeks of general birth classes aren't going to get us very far towards achieving that goal.  We did think about going Bradley Method, but we simply cannot commit to 12 weeks of classes (Seth has to work a lot at night).  And hynobirthing is just a little too far out there for us.  So we will be doing some reading (for me- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Spiritual Midwifery, and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, and for Seth The Birth Partner), hiring a doula (more on that later), and looking into a water birth (more on that later too).  So that's the plan- prepare as much as possible and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment