Wednesday, June 27, 2012

DIY Mobile: Part 1

Apparently one of the critical items of modern nursery decor is a mobile hanging above the crib.  In all honesty, most of the mobiles I came across through my search were pretty lame.  So I figured in true crafty fashion, I should just make my own.  I mean really, it can't be that hard (or can it?).  Like any other questionably sane woman, I immediately turned to pinterest for inspiration.  I quickly realized I liked the idea of stuffed felt animals and found what I was looking for over at project nursery

I started by politely questioning hounding Seth about what animals we should include.  He decided (yes, I let him pick, I am not always overbearing and controlling) on a lion, elephant, crocodile, giraffe, and a zebra.  So this first part post will cover how to make one of the critters (the lion).

Step 1: Print out a clip art picture of what you want to make.  Fold your piece of felt in half (so you have a front and a back) and pin your critter to it.

Step 2: Cut out your critter
Step 3: Using a loopy type stitch, sew your critter together.  Make sure to leave an opening so you can stuff your critter.
Step 4: Stuff your critter and stitch him up all the way
Step 5: Time for the details.  I knew my lion needed a mane, so I chopped the head off my pattern and used it to cut a mane for the front and back.
Step 6: Glue your details on.  I also cut another yellow piece for the face and added eyes, a nose, whiskers, and a tail. Your glue (I used actual felt glue) may take a while to dry, so be patient.

That's the basic process I used to make all my critters.  In all honesty, the lion and the elephant (the fatter guys) were way easy to make.  The crocodile, zebra, and giraffe were a bit more difficult.

Join me at some point later when I attempt to make these critters into something resembling a baby mobile. 

Happy Crafting!



No comments:

Post a Comment