Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Proud Mama

Part of the joy of gardening, for me, is starting my own seeds.  There is nothing more optimistic than watching little baby green things emerge.  And that proud mama feeling just gets bigger as those little green things sprout their first true leaves, go on to support themselves, and blossom over and over again.  Its enough to bring a tear to your eye...

But really, starting seeds is super easy and it saves you a ton of money.  Especially if you have grand garden plans...


To start, get you some seeds.  Sure you can just run out to Target or your local home and garden store and get some seeds, and they'll most likely work just fine.  But if you really want to be a proud mama, you got to start with the Park Seed Catalog in December.  I spend every Christmas obsessing over which seeds to buy.  Sad life, I know.  I generally put my order in by the middle of January so I can be sure to start my seeds by mid-February.  Yes, you are behind the curve, but face it, you'll never be a good plant mother like me.



Next, find a home for your seeds.  For the past several years, I have used this...
Its cheap, easy and I've had some pretty good success with it.  To get your greenhouse ready to go, start by following the directions, which involve something like dumping a million cups of warm water of the little soil cups and letting them get puffed up.  They'll look like this when they're ready...
nice and fat and ready for some seeds
Each seed packet will tell you exactly how to plant your seeds.  Some need light to germinate, others want dark, etc.  Just follow the directions and you'll be a-okay.

I generally plant 2 seeds per pot, which can be tricky if your seeds are teensy...
But just dump in the soil, as directed...

To make sure that I know which seeds are which, once they are planted, I make a seed map for myself...
Once you have your seeds in and organized, pop the top on...
And find a safe place for your seed babies.  Mine used to go in the kitchen window, but Ava likes to knock them over.  That will break a proud mama's heart real fast.  So this year they are going in a closet with a florescent light on them...
And in just about a week or so, you'll have this...



Oh, I'm just so proud.  They're growing so fast and strong, brings a tear to my eye...

Once you get to this stage, just make sure to keep 'em moist with plenty of light and pretty soon you'll have some big, strong plants of your own to be ohhhhh and ahhhh over.

Anyone else strangely, seedling obsessed?

No comments:

Post a Comment