Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What I did for Christmas Break (Part 2)

Alternately, this post could be titled: how to fix a hole in the wall after you slam a hammer through it...  When we left off, the new shelves were in and had been painted pretty clean white.  All that stood between me and pantry nirvana were a few pesky hammer holes...
Patching a wall is really very easy, provided that you buy the right materials.  To start grab some patches, a bit of drywall mud, a spreader for the mud and something to sand it with.
These are your patches.  They work like big band-aids.  All you have to do is peel the back off and stick it on and your good to go.
See, easy peasy.  Next, spread your mud, completely covering your band aid.  Make sure to apply nice smooth coats to reduce sanding later.  Also feather your edges to make for a nice transition.
I like to get the stuff that goes on pink and turns white once dry.  Its nice to know when its safe to work with, plus I love the thought of big, burly construction type men playing with pink mud.

Once the mud is dry, all you have to do is sand it down nice and smooth.  For this, I recommend a sanding sponge.  The sponge is a sponge on one side but has a coarse side for actual sanding.  Because the sponge is slightly damp, it captures the dust, preventing a HUGE clean up later.

Sadly, I have no pictures of this part.  But once I got everything nice and smooth, all I had to do was slap up a couple of coats of paint.  Luckily the former owners left a ton of paint, so I already had the original paint color.

Once the paint was dry, I installed my new pot rack, moved the microwave cart, restocked the shelves and had Seth change out the light fixture.  Without further ado, here she is...

The new and improved straight on view.  Notice how organized everything is (hell, the kitty box scooper is even hanging).  Also, please note the lovely hangy light Seth installed for me.  So much nicer.
The view to the right.  Nice and neat and yes, we have a LOT of booze.  But notice how nothing looks like it is about to topple to its death.
And the view to the left.  Nice, white wall with no awful cabinet.  The new microwave is on its way and should be here by the end of the week.  I made sure to hang the pot rack high enough so that the microwave would still fit.

And one last glamor shot with the light on.  SO IN LOVE!

But I know what you all are thinking to yourselves, she isn't just going to leave it white, is she?  The answer is no!  I have big plans to add a bit of fun to the function in this tiny room.  Check back soon(ish) for the next installment of pantry maddness.

No comments:

Post a Comment