Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow? Part 1

I have a confession to make.  I am a total and utter failure at growing vegetables.  Every spring, I have such high hopes for my vegetable garden.  And somehow, I always end up disappointed.  Take last year for instance.  I planted 8 tomato plants.  Guess how many homegrown tomatoes I enjoyed?  Zero.  Yes, that's right, not a single one.  Damn blossom end root.  And what about those big, beautiful, heavily flowering squash plants I lovingly tended last year?  Not a single one actually grew a squash.  In all fairness, that one has more to do with a lack of honeybees and pollination than failure on my part.  But still, utter disappointment.  So this year, I am taking a break from vegetable growing (luckily, we have lovely farmers markets, so we'll have access to lots of fresh produce) and embracing flowering growing!

We have several garden areas planned including the pergola, a hummingbird garden, a cutting garden and window baskets.  As to not over do, this post will focus on dressing up the pergola.

The pergola that Seth and I built last spring and were married under last September, will be hosting...
Key Lime Cup and Saucer Vine
Each leg of the pergola will also get a big pot that will hold...
White Angelonia Serena
And
Petunia Dolcissima Flambe
I just love that name.  It sounds so fancy!

But I just love the combination of cool green and flashy pink.  I am very excited about this!

What garden plans do you have for this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment